Blog Archive

Friday 1 April 2011

Evaluation Task 1

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Frame 1 -
I chose the Lionsgate logo to appear first in this sequence because it is the first thing that my audience sees. Lionsgate also produce many horror films; I know this from personal experience and I saw that the logo was a regular occurrence in many horror trailers. Therefore when the Lionsgate logo appears first, many members of my audience will know that they are about to view a trailer for a horror movie. I also chose the logo to come first as it looks professional and it is very conventional. It was very easy to include this logo in my trailer, I copied and pasted it of Google images and then dragged it into the editing space on Corel Video Studio 12.

Frame 2 -
This is the third film clip in my trailer but I wanted to put it second as this is a very explosive part of my trailer. The character, 'Tom' shouts: 'Stay away from me!' and points at the camera. While doing test viewings, this made some members of my audience jump which is exactly the reaction I wanted. This also identifies Tom as the main antagonist to the audience. I had some trouble filming this clip; I had to do numerous times as my brother kept laughing, or he wasn't shouting loud enough.

Frame 3 -
I chose this frame to come third because it is very aggressive, but Tom isn't actually saying anything. I chose to film this as a head and shoulders/close up so the audience could see the 'blood' and Tom's aggressive expression. This frame shows the audience that there is gore in this film, and this is the only shot that I have to convey that. I had to use stage blood for this shot, so I had to carry out allergy tests to ensure my brother was not allergic. Putting the blood on was not difficult, I used a clean make up brush and tried to spatter the blood around his mouth as if he had bitten into someone.
This shot may also leave the audience wondering who's blood it is; is it Jade's or are there more victims in this film? I made sure that my audience would be as mystified as possible so that they would take an interest in the film.

Frame 4 -
I used a knee high camera shot in this frame as the main focus if the knife. I like this shot because it's as if Jade is hiding and she can only see Tom's legs and the knife; therefore this could be considered a point of view shot too. It is clear that this shot is in a house and Tom is saying: 'Come out, Come out, wherever you are', this adds to the terror because it's as if Jade has no escape from her crazed brother who is dragging a kitchen knife along the wall. This shot also tells the audience that there is going to be violence in this film too; this is why I put it right after the 'bloody mouth' shot.

Frame 5 -
I decided that I was going to bring Jade into this sequence as a victim. Therefore I have chosen the shot where she is hiding in the house and Tom is likely to be outside as she is looking out the window away from the camera. I wanted to have darkness in this shot as the previous shots had been relatively normal in terms of lighting. The lighter symbolizes hope but there is so much darkness at the same time. At the end of this shot the lighter goes out and there is a blackout at almost the same time. This may come across to the audience that something is going to happen to Jade; implied violence.
In a more realistic sense, the audience could ask...Why isn't there any power in the house? In many horror films the power often goes out if events take place in a building which usually adds to the suspense as something could jump out at the characters at any second.

Frame 6 -
This frame is the main title of my film. The font I used was Footlight MT Light; which is the font I used for the other captions in the trailer. I kept this font for my title so it was consistent with the other captions and because it is very similar to the font I used on my poster. This font is very simple but striking, especially against the red background, and I didn't think the font needed any added effects. I decided to use red for my background to depict bloodshed, especially as the shot before this title is of Tom dragging Jade away into the darkness. The red also grabs the audiences attention; it is very recognizable and memorable and these two things are key in teaser trailer production.

Frame 7 -
This frame shows Tom when he begins his descent into madness. This is a downwards shot and shows Tom simple looking up with a stony expression on his face. Jade says in this shot: 'You don't look so good' so this is an unusual response for anyone if this is stated to them. This is the second film clip in my trailer and it comes right after the caption 'People Change.' Therefore this gives the audience leading questions about Tom. This shot is not aggressive at all; just a little sinister, which is exactly what I wanted because it does not prepare the audience for the next shot where Tom shouts: 'Stay away from me!' which is a huge step up in his behaviour.

Frame 8 -
This frame tells the audience when the film is coming out, which is important for the audience to know because if they are interested in the film they can look up on the internet what films are coming out in the Fall and perhaps get some more information about my film.

Frame 9 -
This is the last piece of film in my trailer. It is of Tom dragging Jade off from the light into the darkness. This lighting was done entirely on purpose as the darkness symbolises uncertainty and danger as Tom has just emerged from there and the light represents safety. Jade can still be seen being dragged off as the fade out becomes darker; this is meant to leave the audience on a 'cliff-hanger', this means that they are unsure of the outcome and hopefully this will encourage them to go and see the film to find out what happens.

General Point -
Costume was not a major issue for this trailer, but I ensured that all characters wore plain clothes; either black, white or grey. This is because bright colours or patterns may distract the audience from the trailer itself. Some of my test audience asked me why Tom was not wearing all black and I said it was because it would be a bit of a cliché if I were to do this, so I allowed my brother to wear white tracksuit bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment