Blog Archive

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Media Film Trailer Outline

After much research of both professional and amateur student teaser trailers I have now formulated a precise script and film plan.
My film which I will be making a short teaser trailer for is called Virus. The main protagonists will be a brother and sister; Jade and Tom. Tom has just returned from travelling around the world on his gap year and has come to stay with Jade for a few weeks. However he begins to act strangely and appears to be coming down with a fever, but things take a nasty turn when Tom has continuous outbursts of aggression, paranoia and threatening behaviour. Tom’s physical appearance also starts to change; his skin becomes pale and his eyes become red; he is not sleeping and his hair is falling out. Jade tries to get him to go to the hospital but he refuses and holds her captive in the house. She tries numerous attempts to get help and escape but Tom cuts the phone lines and barricades the door, preventing her from leaving. It is now obvious to Jade that her brother has picked up some sort of virus from his travels around the world that is making him go mad. Tom forces Jade to participate in a murder and almost kills her in the process as she tries to make another escape from him. Jade’s absence sparks suspicion in the local neighbourhood and a woman across the street calls round to check that everything is okay and Tom ends up holding her captive too. Things become even more sinister when Jade notices that the neighbour is displaying the same traits as her brother; she is also infected with the virus. By this point in the film the police are involved. They break into the house and shortly after Jade shoots Tom. The film ends with Jade in a police interview room and she notices that the detective interviewing her has red eyes and is shaking; he has also caught the virus.
Trailer Plan –
Here is a plan of what I want my trailer to be like, this is the first one I have done so far so I know it is more than likely that some parts will change, some will be cut and new pieces of film may be added in. I have stated how many seconds I think each of my desired clips will take as I do not want this trailer to be too long as it is only a teaser trailer.

The trailer's event's will take place as follows:

1.( Soundtrack on) (Lionsgate Logo) Jade and Tom hug and Jade says: “You’re back” and smiles. Title: ‘Nothing is more important than family’ (2 seconds)

2. Tom is looking unwell with reddening eyes and Jade says “I think you might have caught something” Title: “But sometimes...things change” (3 seconds)

3. Tom smashes a plate down on the floor and shouts: “Leave me alone!” (Pointing finger)(3 seconds).

4. Jade hammering on the door screaming: “Help! Somebody!” (2 seconds)

5. Jade to Tom: “You need help Tom, you’re sick!” Tom is standing in the doorway of a basement with Jade at the bottom of the stairs (3 seconds)

6. Flashing images of Tom with blood round his mouth and Tom lunging with a knife. (4 seconds)

7. Shot of Tom dragging a knife against a wall whistling and saying: “Oh Jade, come out come out wherever you are” (4 seconds)

8. (Soundtrack off) There is darkness. Jade is on a mobile and has a lighter flicked on: “999 emergency” (Jade) “There’s something wrong with my brother” Jade goes up to the window and suddenly Tom slams himself against it, Jade screams and the light goes out. (6 seconds)

9. Title: “Virus” (Smouldering sound effects). Title: “Coming this fall”. End. (3 Seconds)

It is very important for me to remember that this plan of my trailer is likely to change. This is because sometimes ideas can appear to be good on paper but when they are actually put into practice they do not work. However, I will stick to this plan when I start filming so that I have a sense of direction and post an edited version if necessary.

Below are two photos of my story board that I prepared in class. By drawing a story board it gave me a basic idea of what my trailer may look like when I actually come to film it.

No comments:

Post a Comment